Sustainable Oceans and Coasts: Western Australia Perspectives
On 23 September 2020, Future Earth Australia hosted the sixth in a series of online consultation workshops in each state and territory across the nation, for its Ocean and Coastal Sustainability initiative.
35 attendees in Western Australia contributed to the discussion, representing:
- the research sector, including Curtin University, the University of Western Australia, Edith Cowan University, and the Western Australian Marine Science Institution
- Traditional Owners and managers across Country
- all levels of government working across fisheries, government peak bodies, and planning
- industry and business, particularly in energy, aquaculture, and consulting
- civil society and community, namely natural resource management groups, philanthropy, and advocacy groups
This document summarises discussions held around the fundamental elements, both from a Western Australian perspective and pertaining to Western Australia and Australia more broadly, which will define the National Strategy; vision, knowledge, institutional design and governance, community engagement, and implementation.