Sustainable Oceans and Coasts: Queensland Perspectives
On 16 September 2020, Future Earth Australia hosted the third in a series of online consultation workshops in each state and territory across the nation, for its Ocean and Coastal Sustainability initiative.
28 attendees in Queensland contributed to the discussion, representing:
- the research sector, from Griffith University, James Cook University, the Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, and the University of Queensland
- Traditional Owners and managers across Country
- all levels of government working across the Great Barrier Reef, climate and coastal planning, tropical ecosystem management, and local and regional planning
- industry and business, particularly in tourism and consulting
- civil society, namely philanthropy and advocacy for the Reef.
This document summarises discussions held around the fundamental elements, both from a Queensland perspective and pertaining to Queensland and Australia more broadly, which will define the National Strategy; vision, knowledge, institutional design and governance, community engagement, and implementation.